- ABOUT THE PROPERTY
RESERVATIONS AND PAYMENTS
• Prepayment of 100%: Guests shall prepay the full amount (100%) of the stay when the booking is made 30 days or less prior to the check-in date.
• Prepayment of 30%: Guests shall prepay 30% of the total amount of the stay when the booking is made 31 days or more prior to the check-in date. The remaining 70% of the stay must be paid 20 days before the check-in date. You will receive an email with the payment reminder and payment link. When payment is confirmed, you will receive an email with the Arrival Information.
All payments should be made online using a bank card or by a bank transfer. We provide a payment link by e-mail upon receipt of your booking request.
No cash payments are accepted, and we don't accept card details in order to make the charge.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. 3.5% additional will apply for payments with American Express (Visa and Mastercard have no surcharge).
From 9 am to 8 pm. Extra charges apply for check-ins outside these hours.
For Check-in after 8:00 pm or on Sunday, an additional fee of 30 €will be charged.
For Check-in before 9 am. and after 11:00 pm., a 50 € fee will apply.
Before 11:00 am. Contact us for late check-out policy.
• WIFI, cable TV, electricity, gas, and water.
• Welcome Pack and amenities by L’Occitane.
• Fine Portuguese bed and bath linen
Mandatory cleaning every 10 days (2 hours min., 15€/hour). Changing of bed or bathroom linen is not included.
Change of bed linen: 15 € per set of bedsheets. The Duvet cover is extra: 10 €
Change of towels: 10 € per set of 3 towels.
• Cancellations made 45 days or more before the arrival date will be entitled to a 100% refund.
• Cancellations made more than 30 days and between 15 to 30 days before the arrival date will be entitled to a 50% refund.
• Cancellations made less than 2 weeks notification before the arrival date will not be entitled to a refund.
The refundable deposit is returned within 15 days after the departure date as long as the apartment does not show any damage.
RENOVATIONS & CONSTRUCTIONS
The Right Stay is not responsible for any renovations being carried out within or outside the buildings or nearby construction sites in the city of Madrid, which may cause disturbances and inconvenience to guests.
We reserve the right to change the rented apartment for one with similar or better characteristics, in the case of exceptional and justified events. These changes shall be at no extra cost to the guest.
Smoking is not allowed. Pets are not allowed. Parties are not allowed.
Our apartments feature premium L’Occitane en Provence amenities in every bathroom
Luxury Bed and Bath Linens
We like to pamper you with our selection of savory snacks, gourmet chocolate, Nespresso coffee capsules, and water.